The St. Joseph’s College Board of Trustees is accepting nominations for the second annual Donald R. Boomgaarden Leadership in Action award.
The award, named in honor of the College’s current president, recognizes two graduating seniors — one from SJC Long Island and one from SJC Brooklyn — who have embraced characteristics of positive leadership, have continuously displayed traits that contribute to a positive campus environment and who have supported connections between various campus groups aimed to enhance the quality of student life. Award recipients will have exemplified St. Joseph’s core values, infused them within their daily life, and have found a unique way in which to promote them through direct or indirect community involvement on and off campus.
Vice President for Student Life and Campus Services Shantey Hill-Hanna said the award aims to highlight students who embody SJC’s motto, Esse Non Videri, “To be, not to seem.”
The Board of Trustees is accepting nominations until April 1. Students may be nominated by current faculty, staff and administrators. Committee selections will review the nominations during the week of April 11 and chosen recipients will receive a plaque from Christopher R. Carroll ’88, Esq., chair of the St. Joseph’s College Board of Trustees, during the2022 Toast to Graduates Celebration on Thursday, April 21.
Last year, Carly Credidio ’21, a business administration major at SJC Long Island and Andrew Wenzler ’21, a child study and speech communication major at SJC Brooklyn, received the award, honoring their dedication to leadership.
Additional criteria for the inaugural leadership award:
- Must be a registered graduating senior.
- Must be in good academic and good disciplinary standing.
- Has a minimum of a 3.5 cumulative grade point average.
- Must exhibit positive leadership traits on and off campus (i.e. a concentrated effort to make a difference in one facet of the College, or through responsibilities in more than one organization).
- Represents the values, traditions, and spirit of SJC through engagement in and commitment to the SJC campus community.
- Demonstrated service over the course of college career.
- Outstanding involvement in co-curricular activities.
- Has made significant contributions to the SJC community which evoked positive social change.